Health

Korle Bu Maternity Ward Not On Fire – PRO Refutes Claims

Ghananewsprime gif WhatsApp gif

The Public Relations Officer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, Mustapha Salifu has refuted claims that the maternity block of the hospital has been gutted by fire.

Reports were rife on social media late Tuesday night of a supposed fire outbreak at the hospital’s maternity ward with videos showing evacuation of newly born babies.

The person filming the incident claimed that the Ghana National Fire Service had been called, but its personnel were yet to get to the hospital to help douse the flame.
But speaking to citinewsroom.com, Mr. Salifu said such reports were false.

“It is a false alarm to create panic,” he said.
The PRO explained that the switch of an air-conditioning system at the doctors’ restroom instead was emitting smoke, but the situation was quickly contained.

A statement from the hospital further said: “As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.”

RELATED   What is Covid vaccine made of? Scientist behind Pfizer and Moderna vaccine technology explains

“We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff,” the hospital added in the statement.

Fire outbreak at Korle Bu in November 2020

The last time a fire incident was recorded at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital was on November 30, 2020.

Three patients diagnosed with COVID-19 who were on admission at the time were transferred to the University of Ghana Medical Centre after the fire outbreak at the medical ICU.

In the early hours of Monday, November 30, 2020, fire gutted the ICU as a result of an electrical fault from a socket in the ward.
Mustapha Salifu, at the time, said, all the necessary steps were taken to evacuate all three patients who were in the ICU.

RELATED   Private health insurance 'a rip-off' for most young people, consumer advocacy group says

“The fire was detected early, so we were able to handle it as soon it started. The COVID-19 patients are safe and under control. There were also no casualties involved as a result of the outbreak,” he said.
Below is the statement the hospital issued on the latest fire scare:

Maternity Block of Korle Bu is not on Fire

The Maternity Block of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital(KBTH) is not on fire as being alleged on social media.

What happened was an air-conditioner switch in one of the restrooms of the doctors started emitting smoke which was detected by staff on duty at around 9 pm yesterday.

The staff on duty quickly used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before the arrival of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS).
As a precautionary measure, some of the babies were moved to another wing of the same floor.

RELATED   U.S Officials Still Not Ruling Out Lab Accident As Covid-19 Origin

We wish to state no patient or staff suffered any casualties or injury. Normal operations have resumed after assessment by the Ghana National Fire Service indicated that, there was no further threat of danger to either patients or staff.
We wish to commend the staff on duty for their alertness and professionalism.

Mustapha Salifu
Head of PR
Korle Bu Teaching Hospital

Ghananewsprime gif WhatsApp gif
Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
close